The Honourable Jennifer Coate AO, who is leading the Inquiry, and Senior Counsel Assisting the Inquiry, Tony Neal QC, will both make short opening statements. No witnesses will be called on 20 July 2020. The proceedings will be live-streamed and a transcript will be made available shortly after the proceedings. Further public hearings are expected to be held in August.
The COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Inquiry was established on 2 July 2020 to examine:
- Decisions and actions of government agencies, hotel operators and private contractors
- Communication between government agencies, hotel operators and private contractors
- Contractual arrangements
- Information, guidance, training and equipment provided to staff in hotels
- Policies, protocols and procedures.
Please find the Inquiry’s full terms of reference as published in the Victorian Government Gazette on 2 July 2020 below.
A dedicated website, email, and 1800 number are currently being established to enable public information to be received. In addition, letters have been sent to agencies asking them to identify any shortcomings with respect to the Hotel Quarantine Program and provide information about changes that have been made to their communications, conduct or decision-making processes in respect to the Hotel Quarantine Program since their initial involvement.
The Inquiry is tasked with delivering its findings to the Governor of Victoria by 25 September 2020.
Further public information will be provided as it becomes available.
For more information contact Tracey Matters:
Terms of reference
You are required to inquire into, report and make any recommendations considered appropriate in relation to the following terms of reference:
- The decisions and actions of Victorian government agencies, hotel operators and Private Service Providers, including their staff/contractors and any other relevant personnel involved in the Quarantine Program (each Relevant Personnel), relating to COVID-19 Quarantine Containment
- Communications between Victorian government agencies, hotel operators and Private Service Providers relating to COVID-19 Quarantine Containment
- The contractual arrangements in place across Victorian government agencies, hotel operators and Private Service Providers to the extent they relate to COVID-19 Quarantine Containment
- The information, guidance, training and equipment provided to Relevant Personnel for COVID-19 Quarantine Containment and whether such guidance or training was followed, and such equipment was properly used
- The policies, protocols and procedures applied by Relevant Personnel for COVID-19 Quarantine Containment
- Any other matters necessary to satisfactorily resolve the matters set out in paragraphs 1 to 5.
Reviewed 28 June 2021