TRANSCRIPT OF OPERATION SOTERIA MEETING 28 MARCH 10.00AM DOJ.501.001.8443

HOTEL QUARANTINE PROGRAM INQUIRY

P-1

Law in Order Pty Ltd T: +61 02 9223 9200 W: www.lawinorder.com.au MR CRISP: Good morning, everyone. Andrew Crisp.

Welcome to the 10 o'clock meeting to follow up on the really good conversation last night. And thanks to everyone where we're working through the plan and developing the plan for the ports, airports and sea port arrival of people as of midnight tonight and the need, based on the direction that's still being drafted, but based on the PM and the intent of the National Cabinet, for those who will be forced to quarantine for a 14-day period.

So I'll just, in the room, I'll go to my right. People identify themselves, and then I'll come to the phones. Thank you.

MR HOGAN: Braedan Hogan, DHHS Commander.

MR REDACTED s73(e) the member otherwise considers the prohibitio ΔDF .

REDACTED s73(e) the member otherwise considers the prohibition or restriction at ADF.

MS s73(e) the member otherwise considers the pro Strategic Planning.

20
MS REDACTED
MS \$73(e) the member otherwise considers the prohi
Emergency Management Commissioner Executive Officer.

MR CRISP: Thank you.

25

And DJPR on the phone? I'll just go through the departments.

MS FEBEY: Yep. Claire Febey here from DJPR. I should have a colleague, Cam Nolan, and Marcus Leon and Rob Holland.

30

MR CRISP: Great. Thank you, DJPR team.

Transport?

35 MR WEIMAR: Yep. Jeroen Weimar and Kim Schriner.

MR CRISP: Thank you very much, gents.

Victoria Police?

40

MR GRAINGER: Yeah, Andrew, it's Mick Grainger with the State Planning Cell.

REDACTED TO THE METERS AND ADDRESS AN

MR CRISP: Thanks, Mick, 873(e) and others.

45

DPC?

MR LEMIESZE: Mike Lemiesze.

MR CRISP: Thanks, Mike.

5 MS JARVIS: Rebecca Jarvis.

MR CRISP: Thank you, Rebecca.

Is that someone else who's just joined us?

 $MR \stackrel{\text{REDACTED}}{\text{$573(e)$ the mem}} : Yeah, it's \stackrel{\text{REDACTED}}{\text{$573(e)$ the member otherw}} and \stackrel{\text{REDACTED}}{\text{$573(e)$ the member otherw}} from North West Metro.$

MR CRISP: Thank you very much.

15 Is there anybody else on the phone that's not been identified?

MR NOLAN: Cam Nolan.

MS ABBOTT: Deb Abbott.

20

30

40

10

MR CRISP: I'll mute.

MR NOLAN: Cam Nolan from DJPR.

25 MR CRISP: Yeah, thank you very much, Cam.

Anyone else?

MS ABBOTT: Deb Abbott, Andrew.

MR CRISP: Thanks, Deb.

No one else?

35 MS SLATTERY: Miriam Slattery, DPC.

MR CRISP: Thank you very much.

Sorry, someone else?

MR MEFFLIN: Michael Mefflin, Department of Health and Human Services.

MR CRISP: Thanks, Michael. Thank you.

All right, we'll do a bit of a tag team. So between --- in the room between REDACTE straight, we'll work through and I'm --- I know the plan was sent out to everyone last night, so I'm working on the assumption everyone's got a copy of the

plan.

5

10

15

25

30

35

And REDACTE will kick us off now with working through some of those known unknowns and where we've got to and where we need to get to. Thank you.

 $MR_{\mbox{\scriptsize 573(e) the member o}}^{\mbox{\scriptsize REDACTED}} : Thank you, Andrew. Good morning, everybody.$

Following the meeting yesterday, which I guess Andrew's already alluded to identified a number of known unknowns, the group got together, the strat plan group got together and produced the document which I hope everybody has seen this morning. Noting that there is a fairly compressed timeframe that we're asking for responses, some of the discussion today will be, I guess, on the fly and working through putting together what we ultimately want at the end of the meeting which will be an overarching guide or an ability for the plan to be executed but also integrated. So it will be one place to capture everybody's planning. And from that, we'll be able to identify any shortfalls or any gaps or anything that don't connect between the four phases that we've identified.

So just before we start, I hope the instructions were reasonably clear from the document that was prepared last night.

I think the best place to start was we'll start at the --- there's a number of items which we didn't really cover off yesterday. And again, I'll ask for guidance from EMV personnel to direct that to the various departments. But if you've got the document in front of you, the first thing we --- I'd like to go through the list of items. Maybe, started by you can take us through those, the things we didn't really get much information on yesterday.

 $MS \stackrel{\text{REDACTED}}{\text{s73(e) the mem}} Thanks, \stackrel{\text{REDACTED}}{\text{s73(e) the remove}}$

So I think we basically started off in the discussion last night, we realised that there's some additional work that needed to be done from a legal perspective just to clarify the legislation that we're operating under and how that applies to each of the different agencies.

Braedan or --- I don't think, I didn't hear if Jason was on the line --- did we get any further clarification from CHO from that, or?

MR HOGAN: I don't have an up to date --- sorry, it's Braedan for those on the phone. I don't have an up to date situation on that, but I'm just going to ask Jason because I know he was talking with Annaliese this morning around the development of the direction.

MS REDACTED Yeah, okay. Anybody else on the line have any further information on that before we hold that over until we can talk with Jason?

MR CRISP: Yeah, Kaylene, it's Andrew. The direction is one part, so we'll

definitely need --- we'll need advice as to --- the starting point is the direction being developed, which I'm sure will be developed in time, the detail of the direction itself. But my understanding from last night, part of this discussion around the legal side of things was under which legislation? Is it the direction or is it the federal quarantine or Commonwealth quarantine legislative provisions under which we are holding these people in the hotel and, therefore, what are the powers for using private security and police to enforce?

We know under the direction that it is an authorised officer. But Mick Grainger from Police, I'm not sure, have you got anything further to add? Have you had your legal people have a look at it?

MR GRAINGER: Not at this stage, Andrew. I've got some advice which we need to better understand. But I think we've got clear powers if the CHO gives us direction to do certain things, but we need to work through that.

MR HOGAN: I'll go back --- it's Braedan from DHHS --- I'll seek some urgent clarification on this.

20 MS REDACTED Yeah, certainly. So as an action out of that then, obviously, Braedan, if you go back and get that advice.

Mick, can you touch base with Braedan and/or Jason just to make sure we've got that clarity around that going forward.

MS FEBEY: Just Claire from DJPR. So Braedan and Mick, I just wanted to raise how urgent it is that we have clarification on these points in order to do proper implementation around the security arrangements at hotel, and also end to end from point of arrival. So could you give me a sense of timing for clarifying these questions and also loop me in in any answers that you get after this call?

MR HOGAN: Will do.

5

15

25

30

40

45

MS REDACTED ST3(e) the member Thank you, Claire. That's a really good point, too. We don't have a lot of time, so everything is quite urgent, of course.

The second point that we had provided in the draft plans needed further clarification around the medical support that's required during all of the (unclear). So our discussion last night obviously led us to some considerations of the sort of personnel that are required at each of the --- during each of the phases, so at the reception, transport and accommodation, and then obviously whether or not there's additional services and support that's required once people are outside of the quarantine period of 14 days and they're returning home. So did we get any further explanation or, I suppose, information out of the CHO and DHHS in those arrangements last night, Braedan?

MR HOGAN: So there's no requirement, as was stated yesterday, for people to be

checked before they finalise the 14 days. I think we do need to consider the impact of this --- of the mandatory detention period on people more prolonged. And I think we'll probably seek some advice from the psychosocial reference group that we --- that I chair.

5

10

25

30

And then I think also in this is something that I was considering last night: I think we've kind of made an assumption that it is going to be an homogenous group with homogenous needs. I think we need to actually understand or acknowledge that potentially there's going to be some complexity with some of these people who are coming back around appropriateness of how some of the work that we were doing before we kind of got pivoted to this space around family violence and people who do require additional support.

So I think we need to consider doing a bit of a needs assessment and how we actually do that of people's circumstance when they come back in. That probably will be a --- like, let's be honest, that will be a timely process, so I'm kind of --- I don't know if we are better placed at doing that at airport or at the point of reception. We'll consider doing medical assessments, roll that in, potentially, with some well --- with good staff with capacity to understand what those needs are so we can obviously appropriately (unclear) through the 14 days. I think we need to give that some urgent consideration.

MS PREDACTED ST3(e) the mer Claire, is there an opportunity to find out from the flight manifest and that sort of thing --- obviously there will be people coming on to the planes with special needs that are identified before they embark at their, you know, transit location, so are we able to provide that information to DHHS as a heads up?

And then the other option, I suppose, is for us to have a structured survey of some kind, perhaps on reception into Australia at those points of entry so that people can provide personal information that can then be addressed once they arrive so we can -- the opportunity to do so before people arrive in country would be much appreciated. Are you aware of any mechanism for that?

MS ABBOTT: Hello. Sorry, REDACTED it's Deb Abbott. Could we get Red Cross on to that part because they can do the Register.Find.Reunite and do the capturing of reception type of information, much like what we did with bushfires?

MR CRISP: Thanks, Deb. It's Andrew.

- Can I just remind everyone please to mute your phones. And people who are here on the microphones, you've really got to basically, you know, almost have your lips right up on the phone. It's been difficult for some people to hear.
- So speaking with Border Force --- and I believe DHHS have already done that as well --- Border Force are able to provide information about incoming passengers. So I guess the point is about how do we sort of collate that information.

MS FEBEY: It's Claire from DJPR. So what we do urgently need is the manifest data for passengers so we have clear information on when flights arrive and what we expect the capacity of each flight to be. But what we need in detail, very urgently, is the composition of the family groups and individuals set out on each flight so that we can properly plan to house them and match them with hotel rooms that suit their needs.

So is there someone on this call that can assist us with urgently accessing the manifest data?

10

5

MR HOGAN: Claire, it's Braedan from DHHS. When I spoke to Border Force last night, they have been monitoring this, obviously, as the situation has evolved over the past 14 days.

- They said that the data is actually very volatile, they wouldn't actually know until at the point of closure of the flight who is actually on those planes. I expect, and they expect, that obviously to continue. So I don't think realistically we will get a good line of sight in an early way to know necessarily make-up.
- I asked yesterday to make sure we have visibility of unaccompanied minors. They said they can investigate that. But we don't necessarily get a composition of what those flights are. We will get passenger numbers and potentially some flags within that, but it will not be until they close the boarding at the airport at the other end.
- MS FEBEY: Thanks, Braedan. Even if we can access data that is imperfect in the first instance that would assist, and then if we can have data at the point of flights closing as a matter of urgency, I think that is imperative.
- MR HOGAN: I'll talk to Border Force around what line of sight and intel we can get on that.
 - MR CRISP: It's Andrew. They are all valid points. I guess though, for me, it's about what's the process we put in place to ensure that we capture and we're sharing the appropriate information?

35

So it seems as though we've got different people talking to different people in different organisations at the moment. So my understanding is there is sort of a Crisis Management Team that's been established at the airport. Can someone confirm that?

40

45

MS FEBEY: I can confirm that. Claire speaking from DJPR.

And so, Andrew, rather than us working through DHHS to access information from Border Force, if it is okay with you, can we take that conversation up directly through the team that's been established at Melbourne Airport?

MR CRISP: Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Can I just check if --- who's

actually on that team at Melbourne Airport?

MS FEBEY: So the team includes Melbourne Airport, Border Force, SkyBus, representatives from DJPR. In terms of other people in that group, I will have to come back to you with a list.

MR CRISP: It would make sense, would it, for DHHS to actually be on that as well, as well as Victoria Police, because it will assist with planning for those organisations?

10

15

40

MS FEBEY: That makes sense.

MR CRISP: All right. So would you mind just pushing the list of that group back in and we'll share that amongst this wider group and just make sure we've got the right people on it so we can get that right information to the right organisations.

MS FEBEY: Great, Andrew.

And if I could add, while we're talking this through, just in terms of how things
happen at Melbourne Airport, so we will be running a full dry run today at 3.00 pm
of everything that happens from the point at which the chain of custody changes
from Border Force into the care of the Victorian Government, in terms of the
different agencies across VicPol, DHHS and also DJPR's role in that. So we will set
up a call to plan for that exercise, and I'll include VicPol and DHHS in that. Andrew,
it would be good to understand who else should be involved in that from your
perspective.

MR CRISP: Yeah, that's really useful. And that's good to run that through in that way. Thanks, Claire.

MR ST3(e) the member o: Claire, it's REDACTI here. Do you have that in any sort of electronic document format, the sequencing of that exercise that you ---

MS FEBEY: That plan is being prepared now, REDACTE. So I can share that with you in the next hour or so.

MR STOCKETED Yeah, that would be fantastic. Because the idea is that we're going to put this into a, sort of, overarching synchronisation matrix and that may not make sense to everybody, but once we do that we can really see how things are going to roll out. Thanks.

MS FEBEY: And REDACTE forgive me, can you clarify your name and organisation? Just your surname, please?

45 MR sr3(e) the member of Sorry. REDACTE sr3(e) the, ADF.

MS FEBEY: Thank you very much.

MR HELPS: It's Jason Helps. I just wanted to confirm Michael Mefflin is on the phone. Michael is the divisional EM Health Protection Director for that area.

- Michael, you've been involved in setting up similar processes with the airport in the past. Are you confident that you've got the linkage into that crisis team from a DHHS perspective?
- MR MEFFLIN: Thanks, Jason. I can confirm I'm online. And we do have the linkages and we do have a rollout there at the moment with the nurses and Border Security and we can be there at 3 o'clock today.

MR CRISP: That's great. That's really useful to know. Thank you.

15 MS REDACTED State the member Thanks, everybody.

Just for purposes of communication, if we can use the sccvic.stratplanning@scc.vic.gov.au email account please. So that's for all documents coming in.

20

25

So we'll continue to work through the list. Some of the other considerations --- and I'll probably move through them relatively fast and then hand back over to REDACT to work through the taskings and timing in more detail --- but the other considerations were around interpreters at all stages, so at reception, on the buses and obviously at the accommodation when they arrive. If there's anything that we need to cover in that, DJPR, Claire, I'm assuming that that's part of all your planning at this point as well?

MS FEBEY: Thank you. We have considered the provision of interpretation services at the point of the hotel. We had not considered that for the period during transit. So there is no provision at this stage for interpreters to be available on the bus transport. And I will have to come back to you in terms of the final allocation of roles and responsibilities at the airport and, therefore what and how will be provided in terms of interpretive services.

35

MS STAGE THE THE TRANSPORT OF THE MENT OF THE TRANSPORT OF THE MENT OF THE TRANSPORT OF THE

40

MS FEBEY: So can I confirm then that DHHS is planning the provision of personnel to be on the bus to answer questions; is that correct?

MR HOGAN: Braedan from DHHS. We considered providing support services on the bus. I think they do require supervision. I don't necessarily feel that might be appropriate for DHHS at this point to provide the supervision. And then also we will need to consider how we actually formally provide them the direction. So we need to do that in a group is my understanding. Jason, you might have some further detail. I'm just concerned if we can't provide that direction in a language if that causes any issues. We might have to work through that from the legal perspective.

5 MS FEBEY: Braedan, let's take that up.

MS ST3(e) the mem Yes, thank you that would be ---

MR WEIMAR: It's Jeroen here from Transport. I think it's --- obviously there's a lot of ground planning happening, I think, with the Crisis Management Team at Melbourne. My understanding is --- and, Kim, tell me if I'm going off base here --- that there's no plan to actually load people airside on to the vehicles.

We will need someone to be clearly in charge of using our patient(?) process --either ADF or DHHS or whoever --- and somebody else to receive the hotel end.

I think my understanding is SkyBus are comfortable without an escorting officer being on the vehicles but we will need strong management at the loading end and the unloading end.

MS REDACTED So I'm suggesting then that that's probably a specific conversation that needs to be had between DJPR, DOT and DHHS to make sure we've got the appropriate resources. And Vic Pol potentially. Yeah, absolutely.

- MR CRISP: Yeah, that's right. But Jeroen, what's going through my head is about, you know, if we talk about this as the reception phase, who's in charge? So is it DJPR? Sorry, I don't mean to put anyone on the spot, but we've got to know, you know, who's responsible for this particular phase?
- 30 MR WEIMAR: I agree, Andrew, completely.

MS FEBEY: So I think what we need to clarify is who is directing people and with what power at the point at which they are passed from Border Force into, I guess, the care and direction of the Victorian Government? And then if we have clarity around that, then DJPR absolutely can do the mapping piece, I guess, from end to end.

So at that point of transfer, how they move through different --- a different chain of custody and then through transport into the hotel. But we do need clarity on roles and responsibilities in terms of the power to direct, and then I think we also need to connect with Transport, Health and Human Services, VicPol and potentially colleagues at the airport and in that phase to clarify exactly who is doing what. So I'm happy to lead to bring that together.

MR GRAINGER: Andrew, it's Mick Grainger.

MR CRISP: Yes, Mick.

45

35

MR GRAINGER: I think Fed Pol's got a strong role in this, if we're talking about bringing people from the airport on to a bus. So we'll need to connect with Fed Pol and then in with Claire to confirm who takes charge of that process. But my view is probably Fed Pol at the moment, but we'll negotiate that.

MR CRISP: Yeah. Yeah, look, and you're right, Fed Pol's definitely got a key role around this, but it is about once it gets kerbside and it is the State's responsibility.

I get it, it's like an emergency where you, you know, you've got --- you've got fire and you've got, who's the control agency at a point in time? It's the firies at one point, it's the coppers at another time. So, you know, it's not going to be hard and fast, but we do need some clarity in relation to who's sitting over the top of this.

I'm not sure if everyone has got their phone on mute. If you're not speaking, could you please do that. We're getting some feedback. Thank you.

MR HELPS: It's Jason Helps again. I think I'd like to invite, again, Michael Mefflin to perhaps contribute to this discussion because, as I said, Michael's been involved in similar lines. Michael and his staff are actually the port of entry leads for DHHS and working with our health protection.

So Michael, from your previous experience and any discussion that you may or may not have had to date with health protection, can you describe how you envisage the process working? I think we're comfortable to take a lead in elements of this, particularly around the direction but, Michael, I might throw to you.

MR MEFFLIN: Yeah, thanks. Look, so we've practised at the airport these type of arrangements many, many times. I do think that it is a good idea to have the Red Cross there to take registration. We are able to actually provide authorised officers and I'll have them there at 3pm there as well and I'll be there personally as well. But we've got a well drilled team at the Melbourne Airport, but it would be good to do a dry run today with so many new players in the space.

MR HELPS: Thanks, Michael. Just for clarity, in previous roles that you've had in this event and in your planning, REDACTED Sensitive

MR MEFFLIN: Yes, they do. Yes, they do.

MR HELPS: Yep. Yep. And then once we cross into Victoria, I mean, I think DHHS has a lead role in the direction being provided and ensuring that the, you know, the relevant support agencies have fulfilled their obligations around transport and all of those things. But as you said, Andrew, there might be some leadership change in various sections, but I think Michael can work our role up with health protection very quickly today.

I mean, it's important we don't have a custody aspect. These people are not in

5

20

25

30

custody, but there is lead agency responsibilities that will transfer through this, right through ultimately, and I'm sort of speculating, but through to Victoria Police then as the lead around the enforcement side of it or the compliance side of it.

MS FEBEY: So can I clarify then that the expectation of this group is that --- and this is Claire speaking from DJPR --- REDACTED Sensitive

REDACTED Sensitive

REDACTED Sensitive ; is that the expectation of this group?

10

MR CRISP: Yeah, I think so. I think that's what we've got to nail, but loosely that's what it is. But then, you know, again, as Jason just said, it is also DJPR and DOT in support. So, you know, it is very much a team effort.

- MS REDACTED So I think the action obviously is to have a further discussion with the key agencies, Claire, DHHS and DOT particularly, and then obviously VicPol, as we talked about, afterwards. So we might make sure that that occurs, please, as a matter of priority after the discussion today.
- 20 MS FEBEY: Yep.
 - MR WEIMAR: It's Jeroen here from Transport. I think Claire is doing a fantastic job in, sort of, holding this whole process together.
- I think, like, Andrew, if we're going to have a follow-on conversation, we need the Federal Police there, we need the Border Force there and we need VicPol there and DHHS to sort of land how this is actually going to work because I'm still confused and we've got, you know, 14 hours to go to make this work.
- MR CRISP: Thanks, Jeroen. I think it's --- Claire, do you know when the next meeting of this --- the crisis team or the IMT out at the airport is? Because I think this is where this has got to land, with those people being around the table.
- MS FEBEY: Yeah, so their next meeting is not until this afternoon, which is much too late. So I think we'll call an early meeting in the next one to two hours with that group and the relevant people on this call and work through step by step what role each agency will play.
- MR CRISP: Yeah. Great, Claire. I agree. I think that's a good way forward with this. So thank you for doing that.
 - MS FEBEY: Can I please ask then that there is advice just from those agencies that have a specific delivery role, other than those that have just been named, if people could let me know that there are others that need to be involved. It might not be clear from this conversation. And then also if I can have a list of contact people for the dry run that we're planning for 3.00 pm, so I know who the lead people are from each agency to involve in that.

MS Thanks, Claire. That's one of the points for our discussion this morning is to identify those key leads for different functions. So again, if agencies that are on the call can identify people who've got specific roles and email them into the strat planning email account, we'll certainly consolidate a list of key players and share it.

Okay, so if we keep going a little bit. There were a couple of other known unknowns that we were looking at last night. One of them was the personal transport factor, which I think we came to at the end, that we said there will be no personal transport, they'll all be placed on buses. And we've talked now this morning about that being airside and direct to the accommodation.

MR HOGAN: It's Braedan from DHHS. I can confirm that is within the draft direction at this point in time.

 $\frac{15}{MS}$ REDACTED Excellent. Thank you.

5

10

The other key point of interest was the unaccompanied minors. And again, Braedan, you've mentioned that this morning that you have sought that information through Border Force. So that's a key priority for us to make sure that we're managing that appropriately. Is there any other strategy that was discussed with the CHO last night?

MR HOGAN: No, I haven't got an update. But I'm just currently reading the draft direction as we speak. So it might provide some more light, but I definitely know I also had approaches from DOT around unaccompanied minors, especially around returnees from different countries. And there was some discussion late last night with legal CET, so I think there will be a resolution once we read this. But if we've got a line of sight necessarily from the intel, and however that comes from ABF into the broader conversations will obviously allow us to plan appropriately.

MS state when the men wonderful. Thank you.

And the final point that we had on our list was in relation to the survey of passenger requirements, which we've talked about very briefly this morning but it is probably something that requires a targeted action so that we've got an understanding of what information is required and how we gather that and when we gather that in order to be able to assign people to appropriate accommodation, meeting their needs and so on. So again, that's an action that still needs to be considered in the development of plans for the individual agencies going forward.

MR CRISP: And I think that's also part of what that IMT and the information sharing that needs to occur with that airport group itself.

MS FEBEY: Can I please ask then, to take that action forward, could agencies that have particular information requirements from a survey please share that with us at DJPR and we will bring together a consolidated look at what those information

requirements are?

MS REDACTED ST3(e) the men. That's great, Claire. Thank you.

REDACTED s73(e) the member otherwise con

15

20

25

30

40

45

REDACTED ST3(e) the member otherwise considers a basic understanding of the phased approach to the plan. The first part of this is some preliminary actions which we want to work through.

I guess the purpose of this part of the meeting is to just identify those agencies who are taking or will take responsibility to undertake those tasks so we can identify any gaps.

So if we just --- if people think these things apply to their agency, if they could let us know, that would be helpful. So the first one we're looking at is the information of the quarantine plan that's been disseminated, and that probably extends not only to the people coming off the plane, but also to families who may be coming to pick up others.

So is anybody taking the lead on actually disseminating that information to all relevant players?

MS REDACTED So obviously DPC's managing a lot of the communication in relation to COVID-19. Assuming this is a a bodied work and an information package that should be developed and then disseminated through that DPC MJPIC(?) forum. Is somebody able to talk to that from DPC?

MS STITT: I'm on the line. Helen Stitt from DPC. Unfortunately, I'm not across comms. I can take that on board and come back to you.

MS FEBEY: DJPR, Claire. Can I ask a question here: could we break this down a little bit more. So there will be different information needs at different points.

One of the things that we would be really interested in understanding is what information will be provided for people at the point that they're embarking their flight? And at what point will family members be notified that when their relatives or friends arrive that they will be taken straight to accommodation?

Does anyone --- can anyone give us an update on how it will work at that point of departure and how family members will be contacted by those that have data to do so?

MR CRISP: There's --- as you can imagine from the silence there's some blank looks in this room. And they're valid points.

HOTEL QUARANTINE PROGRAM INQUIRY

Again, I'd be interested in knowing what the Commonwealth plans are around providing information to people from their point of embarkation. But it is a valid point. And I agree about then how do we --- how do we and what information do we provide to families of those people that are landing in Victoria?

MS FEBEY: We're very keen, as you can imagine, to avoid family members arriving at the airport expecting to connect with their friend or relative and take them home. That's something that we really need to avoid. So post that, communication with people as they get on their plane, but also ensuring families know exactly what's going to happen is critically important.

MS STITT: Claire, what if I work with our DPC comms people, drawing on the information that I've learnt from this conference call as a first draft, and then we share that back to Deb Abbott and yourself to check for accuracy and then we work out how to distribute it?

MS FEBEY: I think the Victorian Government can absolutely provide the detail around what arrangements will be put in place in this jurisdiction, but I'm wanting to understand what role Commonwealth agencies will play in this ---

MS STITT: Yep.

5

10

MS FEBEY: --- given they've got more scope to connect with people and data at the point of departure.

MS STITT: Fair point.

MR CRISP: Claire, good point. I think it is a question for that IMT out at the airport at this stage. We'll try through channels this way to see what might have been discussed in Canberra around this but, yeah, if you follow up also at a local level.

MS FEBEY: Okay, thank you.

35 MS STITT: So DPC won't do anything on the comms. We'll just stand by if you need us.

MS FEBEY: DPC, you will need to work closely with us around finalising communication materials and messages, so if you could please stay connected to that, Helen, and work out what is happening at your end that would be very helpful.

MS STITT: I'll action that, thank you.

MS REDACTED Thanks, Helen.

MR REDACTED ST3(e) the member of: ADF, again. Our next one we've got on the list is looking at contracted solutions, and that is understanding who would be looking at the

supporting services that are required to transport, house, accommodate, launder, feed, et cetera.

MS FEBEY: I might start from a DJPR perspective.

5

- So obviously you know that Jeroen on the call and Department of Transport are responsible for the transport needs from the airport to the accommodation.
- The DJPR is responsible for where people are housed and making sure they are fed, able to access laundry, able to access basic groceries and supplies.

We need to work with DHHS today to agree roles and responsibilities in terms of broader health and mental health and wellbeing for people while they are in quarantine, and that would include contracting support to meet those needs.

15

35

- MR strategies of the member of the schedules and manifest. That's sort of an RFI that's gone out.
- We'll move through to the phase 1 reception. And I guess we're looking for Jeroen at Transport just to confirm that the bus and regional transportation solutions are in place for what's needed to make that ---
- MR WEIMAR: Yeah. Yep, so Jeroen here. So bus services are in place for the CBD shuttles. So once the hotels are confirmed, SkyBus can get people right to the front, kerbside for those hotels.
 - As and when regional locations are identified, we can deploy for that. I think I said yesterday, you know, we can --- I think SkyBus can sensibly manage Geelong,
- 30 Ballarat, Bendigo, CBD.

I think when you start to get to the far end of Gippsland it starts to get more difficult because we'll need to have an intermediate comfort stop and the controls just get a little bit harder. So I'm a little bit nervous about that. Warragul should not be a problem. We can get there in one --- in one hit.

And again, we're not --- you know, our model is to get people to, you know, one of five or so locations from Tullamarine, not to take them beyond those five locations.

 $40 \qquad MR_{\text{573(e) the member of:}}^{\text{REDACTED}} \text{ Thanks, Jeroen. It's }^{\text{REDACTE}} \text{ ADF, again.}$

Do we actually have a list of the hotels? Have they been identified? And also have we got the criteria for sending, for who goes where?

45 MS FEBEY: Claire from DJPR. So in the first instance we'll be using a single hotel to house at least the first two days of arrival. So obviously this won't be in the public domain, but that will be working across Crown Casino's properties. At the moment

we're negotiating additional contracts with other hotel providers, including in regional locations. So they will come online progressively.

MR HELPS: It's Jason Helps from DHHS.

5

20

45

- The request from the Deputy Chief Health Officer was, wherever possible, if the hotels could be as close as possible to testing centres. So we were excluding regional locations wherever possible.
- MS FEBEY: Claire from DJPR. That's a really helpful point of clarification. Thank you.

We will progressively make some allowance for regional locations. Perhaps where it is needed in terms of capacity, but more where it might be needed in terms of compassionate grounds, or to allow, for example, families more flexibility and space to be able to be outside with children.

So that's a really good point for us to understand in terms of your priorities for location. And we agree central and less locations are better, but we need to allow some flexibility for individual needs.

MR REDACTED Straight Characteristics (Straight Characteristics) Okay. Thanks, Claire.

- We'll move now to the next piece, which is reception parties established at and coordinated at all entry points. Again, as I said, that goes across the process, but just, I guess, to let even hotel staff know that people are inbound, that sort of thing. Who's taking responsibility to communicate that plan?
- MS FEBEY: Claire from DJPR. I think this point of reception process and who plays what role is essentially the conversation that we need to have with individual agencies after this call to clarify that.
- We're negotiating with Melbourne Airport at the moment around what role they can play in terms of how passengers are allocated to hotels and how hotels are notified when planes land and people are en route. At this stage, it seems they will be able to scale up to play that role, but I'll have to confirm that after this call.

 $MR \stackrel{\text{REDACTED}}{\text{s73(e) the member ot}} \quad Thank \ you.$

- 40 Next one was the DHHS. I think we sort of covered health screening for primarily obviously at the airport. But just sea ports and have we got any understanding of inbound on crews and what will happen at those reception points?
 - MR HOGAN: Thanks. Braedan from DHHS.

Our initial thinking was to activate the FEMO teams potentially to do, I think, the --- it is an open question as to if they do that health screening either at the point of

arrival or if they do it at the point of reception at the hotel, that initial screening. And Michael, I don't know necessarily if you've got a view on that given your experience.

And then for the ongoing, we were going to continue to engage FEMO teams to do, you know, every few days screening and touch base, along with having a --- having a locum emergency doctor available and that phone number provided to all arrivals --- passengers to ensure they have got access to other medical needs as required outside of those teams, which will --- and that locum doctor will also have escalation points up to FEMO and to AV, as required.

MR REDACTED Thank you. I think we can --- obviously a number of these items start repeating and I think a lot of them have been covered off already. So just given that people are probably better off having the time spent trying to answer these things as opposed to pose the questions, I think we can probably cover off --- I'm just quickly going down the list now --- just some items that may need further clarification: the security element and the management of private security contracts. Has anybody got any take on --- given they need to be in effect from midnight tonight?

20 MS REDACTED ST3(e) the ment contracts. Claire, I think you were working on the private security company contracts.

MS FEBEY: Yes. So I might just see if Cameron Nolan, who is on the call, would like to update on this. He's been taking a lead for us around security. But I think the answer is we need some more time. But, Cam, is there anything we can share now?

MR HOLLAND: Rob Holland here, Claire. I think Cam might have jumped off, so I'll just take that question.

30 MS FEBEY: Thank you.

35

45

MR HOLLAND: I'm going to give Michael, from DHHS, a call after this meeting just to talk through how our security officers would need to work with DHHS authorised officers. So I'll take it on notice now. We have done some more thinking on it, but we're keen to have a chat offline with DHHS about how that would work in practice.

 $MS \stackrel{\text{REDACTED}}{\text{s73(e) the memb}} Thank \ you.$

Mick, I think there's probably an action or a consideration for you guys on those initial arrivals because obviously private security would have limited capacity and we should assume that some of these people will be far from happy about the enforced quarantine. So definitely an opportunity, I think, to make sure that you're engaging in there as well, if you wouldn't mind.

MR GRAINGER: Yeah, I'm happy to do that. We'll just need clear advice on the direction from the CHO and what our powers are. We still don't have that. And

we've --- I've sent the team away now because we've got another meeting in 10 minutes to finalise a plan that we'll share with you ASAP.

MS ST3(e) the memt No worries. Thanks, Mick.

MR s73(e) the member out: Thank you.

5

I think the last piece of this because, again, we go through, I guess, a lot of maybe things that need to be confirmed and that will feed what we are terming a synchronisation matrix, which we hope to get out in draft format by midday. Obviously that will have a number of gaps in it, which I hope the meetings following this will input into. And we'll send that out as soon as it is complete and after Andrew's had a chance to look at it.

One thing I do want to confirm at the end of it is that we make sure that we do have confirmation of all the planning points of contact. And at the very end of that sheet obviously there is a list of people, so FEDACTED maybe if you go through that list and ask who is our point of contact for each of those areas, in case we have questions leading up to that midday deadline. Thank you.

MS REDACTED Yeah, no worries. Thank you.

So again, just very briefly, the Department of Transport key contact?

MR WEIMAR: Key contact is myself Jeroen Weimar. You've got my details. And Kim Schriner, who is also on the call. So I'll email those through to you, Claire, the details.

 $MS^{\text{REDACTED}}_{\text{s73(e) the memb}} \ Thank you, very much.$

Claire, are you DJPR?

30

45

MS FEBEY: Yes. And if you could just have Rob Holland as a second point of contact.

 $\frac{35}{MS}$ REDACTED No problems at all.

And I'm going to assume that Braedan and Jason for DHHS?

40 MR HOGAN: It will be Michael Mefflin.

MS REDACTED And Michael.

Mick for VicPol?

MR GRAINGER: Yeah, it will be myself. I've sent you my email and you've got my mobile. And REDACTED who's in our planning cell. If you flick me an

email, I'll follow up with her details.

MS REDACTED ST3(e) the memt Excellent. Thank you very much.

5 DPC.

MS STITT: Helen Stitt. I will email you my details.

 $MS^{\stackrel{\text{REDACTED}}{\text{573(e) the memt}}} \ Thank \ you \ so \ much.$

10

And from an EMV perspective, it is obviously myself in the strat planning space, the Commissioner as always, and Deb Abbott who is our State Consequence Manager at the moment and the ADF support through REDACTED and so on. So we'll certainly send our details out as well.

15

Is there anybody else on the line who's got a really significant function that we should be capturing right now?

That would be a no.

20

Nothing else, REDACTED 873(e) the me



- Thanks very much, everybody. I appreciate that this is a, you know, fairly, you know, complex planning process and we're here to facilitate putting this plan together as quickly as possible. So we look forward to receiving the information back discussed today. And I hand over to Andrew for closing comments. Thank you.
- 30 MR CRISP: Thank you very much, John. Thanks, everyone.

Look, that was really useful. There's still some gaps, some unknowns, but there's less than we had last night, so it's a step in the right direction.

- Yeah, there does need to be follow-ups and people have already identified what some of those are, but I think getting this team working at the airport is critical, getting the right people there so we can physically manage what we need to manage, but also share that information.
- 40 So now there's this exercise at 3.00. Are there any other meetings in the lead-up to that that will impact on some of the thinking and the planning that we're doing now? I'm just looking at some timings to come together next.
- MS FEBEY: Claire from DJPR. So the group that we convene, including the Melbourne Airport Crisis Response Team and other important agencies on this call, so obviously that meeting needs to be scheduled as soon as it can be.

MR CRISP: Yep. Thanks, Claire.

And then the exercise is planned to go for how long?

- 5 MS FEBEY: I don't have a timing for you at this stage. So Tim Sullivan in DJPR is preparing a plan at the moment. And so when I have timing around expected duration I'll come back to the group.
- MR CRISP: Thanks, Claire, because I was just thinking in terms of a follow-up after the exercise where there's some last minute gaps or issues that have been identified that we might need to come together and quickly resolve.

MS FEBEY: Agreed. So I'm thinking something like 5.00 pm approximately, but perhaps we can confirm that once we have a plan for the run-through.

15

MR CRISP: That's a plan. All right, so we'll get that airport meeting happening, information around the exercise, different agencies work on their specific plan. So that I know I have been in contact with Mick Grainger, so they're working up their ops plan; Health, Transport and DJPR and then the exercise. And we will reconvene 5 to 6 this evening. Thanks, everyone.

MR GRAINGER: Andrew, it's Mick.

MR CRISP: Yes, Mick.

25

20

MR GRAINGER: Just before you go ---

MR CRISP: Yes, Mick.

- 30 MR GRAINGER: --- I've just been told by our AFP colleague at the SPOC that there is an 11:30 meeting planned that the airport's convening. So if I can get details of that, I'll share those again with Claire.
 - MR CRISP: Great. And Claire you will follow up?

35

MS STITT: Andrew, it's Helen Stitt from DPC. If I could just shadow the airport meeting, then that way you don't have to circle back to me if I need to do something.

MR CRISP: All right. We'll make sure we get the information out about that 11:30 meeting to this group. Thanks.

Thanks, everyone.

(Meeting concluded)